Entry #3: Green and frosty

   

     I've just come back from the store with something familiar, yet very different. Among the many odd flavors I could have expected; pineapple, watermelon, bubble gum, strawberry- this one is definitely one I wouldn't normally expect. 

     I grab the pale green package between my fingers, it crackles and pops. On the cover, standing out against the pale green, are a bundle of bright green, jagged leaves, a tag informs me that it is made with whole leaf green tea. I pull the top of the packaging off at a seam then pull open the ziploc seal underneath, preparing my nose for the scent which already faintly permeates the bag.

     A strong, frosty scent hits my nose, overwhelming any ability to sense green tea. I'm reminded of some of the colder winters I've experienced; the few, brief instances I've seen snow in my life. I pull one out of the package, the edges are jagged. Its pale white, shaped like a leaf. Its decorated as such as well, precise little cuts along each of its flat surfaces decorate it like veins running through.

     I pop the leaf shaped pill in my mouth. For a split second it is bitter but this quickly subsides. I'm left with a cool sensation in my mouth, it floats up to my sinus and leaves its cold touch against any part of my tongue or hard palate that I rest it against. The taste of green tea is faint, but very complimentary. Normally, I'm not of a fan of these but this one is enjoyable. It does remind me of a Winter a few years back where I was drinking all sorts of teas, enjoying the different scents. 




     As I continue to eat it, the leaf shrinks. The jagged edges have rounded and are no longer poking against my tongue. It turns into a little shard and continues to shrink, faster and faster. Now its a twig, I feel the a subtle tingling at the tip of my tongue. I decide to chew the last bit, it crumbles like a bit of dust and I'm hit with a brief but strong, bitter cold sensation. 

     Even as the leaf is gone, I still feel the chilling feeling permeating in along my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Normally, I dont enjoy these types of things but this was wasn't just packaged differently, it tasted different too. I'll definitely enjoy more of these as the week goes on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #10: Beginning a "Cut"

Entry #5: Analyzing Mayhem